Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The First Six Weeks

As difficult as it is to admit, Aubrielle's first six weeks have come and gone. So sad! Although it is certainly nice to be completely healed from my surgery, and able to participate in all activities again, I would go back if I could and do those first six weeks again. And again. And again. They are my favorite.



Bree has changed a lot since she was born. Most noticeably, she has grown and put on weight, and her cheeks have filled out. Her umbilical cord has come off. Her right eye, which had a plugged tear duct, has finally stopped draining. Her eyes are open and she is alert a lot more. She is an excellent nurser and a good napper. The best change in Bree is that she smiles now. Ooh, I love it! It's the best!



Aubrielle loves to be held and cuddled by her mommy and daddy, and her siblings, too. Dallin and Elijah love to hold her so much that they have even been known to fight over her. They especially love to push her in the stroller and buckle her into her carseat. Elijah has even been changing her diapers lately! Yes, the boys are very helpful with her. Hopefully that won't change.




It's easy to see that Felicity cannot wait for Bree to be big enough to play with her. Felicity is constantly trying to put toys in Bree's hands and tell her what to do with them. Of course Bree doesn't understand. I think she just likes being spoken to. Mimi has recently learned to read books on her own, and most mornings she can be found reading to Bree. Again, Bree doesn't understand, but nonetheless enjoys the attention. It warms my heart to see Mimi reading to her baby sister. So special!



So far, Aubrielle doesn't mind riding in the car--most of the time. This is perfect for us since we often go places. It's great when she falls asleep in her car seat and stays asleep even when we reach our destination. I know that this will not always be the case, so for now I am grateful. I am also grateful for the times that she falls asleep in my arms or at my breast. These are special times which I cherish.

Sometimes I don't remember when we didn't have our sweet Aubrielle in our family. She is a necessary piece of our family puzzle and having her in our home fills a void.



I love that Richard comes home from work and lights up at the sight of Bree. It's wonderful that she seems to brighten his day. She is his little princess and has her daddy wrapped around her little finger. When Bree is fussy or tired, Daddy is sure to comfort her and lull her to sleep.



Since she was born, Bree has been nursing every couple of hours. At times Richard and I have to wake her up to nurse because she has been sleeping too long. Other times, she doesn't seem to want to sleep which can be frustrating to a couple of tired parents, but most of the time she wakes during the night to nurse and goes back to sleep. I know that this period of her life will be gone in the blink of an eye and so I am enjoying every minute of it. The night nursings are particularly precious to Bree and me because they also involve Daddy. When Bree wakes up, Richard goes to her nursery to change her diaper and grab a burp rag. He then brings her to me in bed to nurse and crawls back in with us. When Bree is done nursing, Richard takes her from me, burps her, and puts her back to bed. I am so grateful for a husband who wants to be such an integral part of our baby's life.


It's hard to believe that Bree will be two months old on the 1st of July. Time doth pass so quickly with a newborn baby. What an awesome experience and responsibility raising children is. Being a mother is what I aspired to be, as a little girl, and I am lucky that Heavenly Father has entrusted me with two handsome sons and three beautiful daughters. I am blessed.

I am also blessed to have friends who love Bree, too. Here is a picture of Tera holding her. Tera is more than a friend, though, and I'm glad she'll be an integral part of Bree's life, too. Aren't they both gorgeous?


Life is busy with a new baby--I wouldn't have it any other way. But now that my sweet Aubrielle is sleeping, I should be, too. Goodnight!

Love, Cara

6 comments:

Tera said...

Bree is just so beautiful. I love her plump cheeks and I could stare ate her for hours. She is such a good baby. I had to click each picture bigger so I could get a really good look at her. She is just too darling.

I too can't believe how fast time is going and I too would go back and live the first few weeks of each of my babies lives over if I could. It is such a shame it has to go by so fast. In some ways, it is a blessing that we have c-sections. With how busy we tend to be and how much we try to do with our kids, if we didn't have a surgery to recover from we'd just jump back into being a mom too quickly. Having surgery forces us to sit and relax and just enjoy those first few weeks. Heavenly Father knew us too well!

Melissa said...

I am so glad that everything is going great! The first few months are my favorite of a new baby. Yes, your tired, but I love how they snuggle right into you and can stay there for hours. Enjoy her while you can! As you already know, they grow up too fast. My little Malia just turned a year old a few weeks ago. Makes me want to have another baby! Your family so sweet Cara! Your one lucky mommy!!!

taradon said...

What wonderful pictures! I agree, those early months are such hard work, but I love them. I miss that newborn baby stage, even though I enjoy every new stage that the kids go through.

Druciana said...

She is so beautiful!

Crazy Mom of 6 said...

Wow!! I cant believe she is almost 2 mths. She is so beautiful and does fit into your family so well. So happy you are happy and having the time of your life.

Shelly said...

Bree is such a blessing for your family and OH! is she ever beautiful! I loved holding her at the park the other day! There's nothing like a tiny sweet baby in your arms, is there?? I can't believe she's almost 2 months old~where do the days go??
Love, Shell