Thursday, April 9, 2009

The End Is Near

While I am over the moon regarding the impending arrival of my sweet baby Aubrielle, I have come to realize that her birth will mean the end of something I have held precious and dear to my heart: "The Dallin, Elijah, Amelia, Felicity and Mommy Show". Sure, I know that a new baby sleeps a lot and is often content to be cuddled. But once Bree is here, "The Dallin, Elijah, Amelia, Felicity and Mommy Show" will be canceled and dropped by all major and independent television networks. It will be replaced with a brand-new series called "The Dallin, Elijah, Amelia, Felicity, Aubrielle and Mommy Show". Although I agree that change is good, there are many things I will miss about the old series:

*going anywhere with only four children in tow, a skill I had to develop through trial and error and ultimately learn to master

*mornings at home alone with Felicity while her siblings are at school; we had a lot of fun together, just the two of us

*afternoons at home alone with Mimi while her brothers are at school and Felicity is napping

*only having to worry about two children in carseats

*not nursing anyone or wearing nursing pads

*having both my hands to cook, clean, bake, blog, read, eat, etc

*not having to change diapers or carry a diaper bag filled "just in case"

*loud music

*chasing my children through the house or at the park

Most of all I will miss the opportunites for one-on-one time with each of my children. A new baby is selfish. And rightly so! But that is a difficult concept for older children to grasp as they have no memory of being in the spotlight position as a newborn themselves. I only hope and pray that I will have the energy and ability to still give to my older children all that they want and deserve. May God once again bless me with an additional heart and increased capacity to love.

Love, Cara

P.S. As I've already said, change is good. Generally. But not always. Take for example the new "90210" series which replaced the now defunct "Beverly Hills, 90210". Not a positive change, people! Just kidding.

4 comments:

Crazy Mom of 6 said...

Oh Cara! Life is going to get their where you can have those special times with your children. Just think now you get to take them out of the house and enjoy a special day just for them. What a marvelous blessing that is to be able to have 5 beautiful and healthy children and then be able to see them grow and become the people you have prayed and dreamed about. It is scary and unknown, but your kids are young and they will remember those special times and before you know it you will have that going to the store with 5 kids down, having special time with each child, and then making your traditions that now you can add Bree too! So don't look at it as the end but a whole new beginning, stage of life and a whole new love for each one of your children. Love you lots

Tera said...

I completely underderstand this feeling. It's hard to say good bye to your baby and welcome a new baby. It's not that you're not excited for the new baby, just sad that time passes so quickly and the others must grow as a result. Just think though, this new "show" with all of your children will go into syndication and never be cancelled! It is the last and will have all the reruns you want!

Druciana said...

Ok. I just have to say I love you annalogy at the end!

You are a good mommy! You will have it all down in no time. God doesn't give you more than you can handle. I think that includes kids.

Shelly said...

Cara-even though I only have one child, I can still understand how you feel by reading your post, very heartfelt! Your children are so blessed to have such a wonderful mommy; Bree is one lucky baby to be joining such a loving family! I can't wait to meet her!
Love, Shell