Sunday, April 19, 2009

Mom's Night Out

Mom's Night Out is a fairly new tradition in my life, and one that I could not do without. It all began last November when six of us ladies from the same neighborhood realized we shared a love for the "Twilight Saga" by Stephenie Meyer, and had plans to see the "Twilight" movie it's opening weekend. Sarah bought the movie tickets, Tera picked the restaurant we would eat at (Rock Bottom) and Tera volunteered to drive us all. The food was great, the movie was fun, and we all had a fabulous time. As we drove home that evening, Shelly asked, "When are we gonna do this again?"

And thus began the monthly tradition of "Mom's Night Out". Dinner at Rock Bottom followed by a movie is the norm for our monthly tradition. However, last night was an exception. We ladies had dinner at "The Melting Pot", which is a fondue restaurant. We arrived around 5:30p.m. for our reservation and didn't leave the restaurant until nearly 11:00p.m. No, none of us realized just how late it had gotten, as we were having such a good time. We laughed. We cried. We shared funny, personal and intimate things about our lives, and as a rule, what is shared during "Mom's Night Out" stays there.

Because Tera and I had patronized "The Melting Pot" before, we knew from experience that eating there was not a short engagement. In fact, when you go, you should plan on staying for at least 2.5 to 3 hours, especially if you take in all 4 courses offered. We ladies went with that in mind. I'm sure the reason we stayed so long was due to the amount of talking we did! And that's okay. I'm so grateful to have such amazing girlfriends--girlfriends I never tire of. Girlfriends who never run out of things to say to each other. We certainly took our time last night and I'm glad we did.

When opting for all 4 courses offered at "The Melting Pot", you begin by selecting a cheese fondue. We went with the cheddar fondue. It is served with chunks of various breads, vegetables, and green apples to dip into the cheese fondue. Fabulous. Then your salad arrives. Next come your meats and vegetables: fillet minion, chicken, pork, shrimp, lobster, etc, and unlimited potatoes, broccoli and mushrooms. These items arrive uncooked which each patron cooks herself in a broth or oil of her choice. The broth is delicious and fat-free. Yummy. Once that course is finished, the meal experience is completed by selecting a chocolate fondue that is offered with any number of flavor combinations. I am a simple girl when it comes to chocolate. I always choose white. Served with the chocolate fondue is an array of fruits (strawberries, bananas, cherries, pineapple), spongecake, brownie bites, marshmallows, and a slice of cheesecake. Oh, wow. It's better than... You decide!

We ladies had a fabulous time last night. But it was extra special for me. You see, unbeknownst to me, my girlfriends had a few surprises in store. As soon as we arrived at the restaurant, Tera convinced me I had to use the restroom. Not a hard thing to do considering I have a baby making herself comfortable on my bladder. When she and I rejoined our group, I was presented with a gorgeous basket of pink tulips and a handmade card which all my girlfriends signed. Along with the handmade card was a gift card for "Babies R Us". That's when the tears started. Then we had our amazing meal. When dessert plates were served, mine came with a "5" candle piercing my slice of cheesecake. No, I'm not turning 5, though my maturity level may at times suggest it. The 5 was for my 5th baby.

Do I have the best group of girlfriends, or what? If their intention was to make me feel special, they succeeded. If their intention was to momentarily put me in the spotlight, they succeeded. If their intention was to let me know I'm loved, they succeeded at that, too.

I so greatly love and appreciate you, Tera, Shelly, Sarah, Christa and Katie. Each one of you enriches my life and has helped to make me a better person. God bless you all.

Love, Cara

P.S. I'm gonna go cry again now. I'm so emotional!

9 comments:

Shelly said...

Cara-I'm so glad we succeeded in our mission to make you feel special & to recognize your precious Bree who will be here soon! I can't wait to hold her! There aren't words to express what last night meant to me. I feel so incredibly blessed to have all of you in my life. It's the difference between feeling alone and my cup runneth over.
I love you-Shell

PS. The Melting Pot was amazing, I definitely think we need to make it at least an annual event!! YUM!!!

Katie said...

I'm glad you all had a fun time! Less than two weeks now until little Bree makes her appearance. We are all excited for you.

Tera said...

I am so glad that you felt special, you deserved it. This is a very special time in your life and as your friends, we wanted to help you celebrate it. Bree is your last baby, but by no means does that make her any less special than the first. I am so excited to get to meet her and am honored that I get to be there for her birth. Mom's night out has become a God send for me. It is wonderful to live in a neighborhood with such amazing women!

Crazy Mom of 6 said...

Cara~how blessed are you for your wonderful friendships you have been able to make. They all sound like wonderful friends that truly love and care about you. I wish I had that! Its something I really need!

Mistaken said...

There is nothing better than great friends. That is wonderful! It sounds like a lot of fun. I've never been to the melting pot. I'll have to try that.

Druciana said...

That is so sweet! Girlfriends are the best!

The Borman Family said...

Mmm. I love the Melting Pot. I would like to go. I am so happy you have such great friends there right in your own little neighborhood. So nice of them to surprise you like that. You sound really blessed with such great friendships.

taradon said...

How wonderful to have such good friends to spend time with. Girls Night Out sounds like such fun! And what great friends you have to surprise you that way.

Unknown said...

Fondue . . . Are you going retro also? It's fantastic that things are going great for you. I miss you guys. I haven't been to LA since you guys got married. It's awesome that you found friends in your new home. As a Califorian in Nebraska, even after six years, I'm still a fish out of water.