Sunday, April 12, 2009

Good Friday '09: 10 Reasons It Wasn't Good

We all know that Good Friday is a Christian holiday--the Friday before Easter. It should be a happy day, right? Well, not at my house! Even though my kids had just had a spring break, the school district decided to make Good Friday a day off, as well. The day began rather ordinary, or so I thought. I woke up, took a shower and dressed and left my room to find out what my children had been up to. Of course by that time, Richard was long gone at work and could be of no assistance. Standing at the top of the staircase, I called to the four of them. Since they had gotten up that morning all they had done was play in the basement. Normally this wouldn't be a problem as there wasn't any school. The problem was that two of the kids had wet their beds and Felicity was sitting in a poopy pull-up. By the time I got to her, her bottom was sore. The two kids that had wet their beds had been hanging around in soaked pajamas. Gross. Not the ideal way to start a day.

Here are 10 more reasons that Good Friday '09 wasn't good:

01) The rest of the day all four kids fought. Non-stop.
02) The boys didn't finish their chores until almost 2:00p.m., meaning they didn't eat until then, either.
03) Because of the two wet beds, my daily three loads of laundry became five.
04) Felicity, who had been potty training as of late, had accident after accident that day.
05) My energy level was so low that I was out of breath just walking around the house.
06) I spent my day washing, folding and hanging up clean laundry.
07) Felicity got down for her daily nap an hour late.
08) That afternoon my Relief Society Presidency meeting ran 2.5 hours.
09) The kids fought in the car on the drive home from the meeting.
10) Driving home from my meeting, my seat belt came unlatched four times.

Here are 10 reasons I should count my blessings:

01) Though my children fought all day, no permanent damage or injury was inflicted.
02) Though my seat belt came unlatched four times on the freeway, we arrived home unscathed.
03) Though my children fought all day, they were well-behaved during my presidency meeting.
04) Stripping and remaking two beds on Friday meant two less to do on Saturday morning.
05) Though my presidency meeting ran so long, I enjoy and am friends with the three other ladies I serve with.
06) Though Felicity had a short nap, she wasn't overly cranky.
07) I got a lot of laundry done.
08) When the kids and I got home from my meeting, Richard was already home from work making dinner.
09) Dinner was truly excellent: grilled salmon, pasta, parmesan toast, corn and green salad.
10) That night I fell asleep reading a good book, knowing that Saturday was around the corner.

Unfortunately, Saturday wasn't any better. You win some, you lose some. I'm trying to look for the positive things in life. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's not.

Lest I forget the words to the hymn, "Count Your Many Blessings"...

Cara

8 comments:

Tera said...

Does not sound like a great day. Man, you really need to get that seat belt fixed! I'm sorry that you weren't able to join us at the library; maybe it would have helped pass the time and helped to entertain the kids.

Crazy Mom of 6 said...

AW those days are typical around here! Sorry you had a bad day. I am glad it ended better!! I hope that tomorrow has things better!

taradon said...

Sorry for the rotten day. Hope today is going better! Hopefully you got a little rest yesterday and that is helping some.

The Borman Family said...

Sounds like many of my days. One thing after the other. It is very nice to read you appreciating your blessings though. I will try to remember this when I feel I have one of those days where it all seems to be hitting the fan. At least no one broke anything, you didn't get into an accident, and you didn't have to worry about dinner. And you were productive! Good job. But I think you should get your seat belt fixed too.

Shelly said...

Hey Cara-sorry you had a such a rough day! But I really appreciate how you always manage to find the silver lining through the clouds!
Love, Shelly

Mistaken said...

I'm sorry you had a bad day. I don't know how you get through all you have to do. You are an amazing woman. I admire you

Unknown said...

Hi!

Unknown said...

It's been quite a long time, hasn't it? Last time you saw me, I wasn't too conversational. Now you have more kids, and I have less hair. Give me a call or drop me a line: 402-217-4887 or redneckhippie@fastmail.fm. Brandon