Monday, April 6, 2009

Reunited, And It Feels So Good

About two weeks ago, I received a phone call from my high school girlfriend, Louise, informing me that she would be in Denver a few days, and she wanted to see me. What a wonderful surprise, considering the last time Louise and I had seen each other was in 2003 when Mimi was just a few months old. The next time I heard from her via phone I was pregnant with Felicity. Needless to say, a lot had happened in both of our lives in the past six years.

Louise and I graduated from high school in June of 1993. We met in the sixth grade, before either of us had boobs or periods, and quickly became friends. Not only did we go to school together, but we lived within a couple minutes of each other and consequently attended the same junior high school and high school. In junior high school we shared a love for the roller skating rink, bike rides to the local 7-Eleven for Slurpees, and dreams of first dates and first kisses. High school meant puberty, dating, church dances, hickeys, movie parties, and love for George Michael and soap operas. (Every day we would rush home from school to catch "Guiding Light"). Lou and I even had nicknames for each other. I was "Carolina Moon", Lou was "The Weasel". Heck if I can remember how we each came by those nicknames, but that's what they were.

Since Lou and I graduated from high school, our lives have been very different. Lou finished college and has carved for herself a successful career as a costume draper / designer. She and her husband Josh have traveled all over the United States, and to many foreign countries, too. Lou and Josh have a dog and two cats, and have decided not to have children. I envy Lou and her exciting life as she has seen many beautiful (and some not so beautiful) parts of the world, and not being tied down to a mortgage or family she is the definition of "insouciant". Hee, hee. I used my favorite word from high school! Lou is successful, accomplished and has kept her figure! You were always thinner than me, Lou!

As all of you know, I have been married to Richard for nearly 14 years and we are currently awaiting the arrival of our fifth child. We live in the third home we've ever purchased. Richard is currently working towards his bachelor's degree, and I never finished college. (Someday I may finish but the thought of going back to school right now makes me want to vomit. I don't want to read or study anything for educational purposes, unless it is my scriptures). The first couple of years that Richard and I were married, we both worked and went to school, but the last nine months of Richard's physical therapist assistant school, I quit school to work two jobs while carrying our first child (Dallin was born seven days after Richard's graduation ceremony). My career involves the proper care and feeding of my husband and children, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Last Wednesday night, Louise came to my home to see Richard and my children (she'd never met Felicity) and where I lived. She admired my home and how I had decorated it, and said multiple times how beautiful my children were. What mother doesn't love that? Once the home tour was over and pictures had been taken (yes, I will learn how to put the pictures on my blog) Lou and I went out together to catch up.

We ended up at Famous Dave's BBQ and split the dinner for two. While it had been years since we'd been together, and while our lives are very different now, we quickly fell into conversation. You see, I am convinced that some friendships are meant to last a lifetime and weather the changes which are sure to come about. Lou is one of those friends for me. We spent the next three hours talking, even after our leftovers had been boxed up. We had been reunited, and it felt so good.

As I mentioned before, in the years of her career, Lou has done a lot of travelling, both for fun and for work. But currently her husband Josh has a full-time position and home near downtown Denver. Lou has decided that Denver is a nice place to live and is hopeful that someday soon she will be blessed to find full-time work there, at which time she and Josh will look to buy a home and stay permanently! Yes!

Gosh, Lou, I miss you so much already, and it's only been a week. Let's not allow years to go by before we see each other again, okay? I love you.

Love, Cara

4 comments:

Shelly said...

You're so right, Cara, some friendships do last a lifetime-what a blessing they are too! Hey I was a Guiding Light girl back in the day-can you believe they cancelled it after all this time?Here's to NEW friendships too-Shell

Tera said...

Old friends are the best, they know your history. There is nothing like sitting down with someone and not having to explain where you came from!

Louise Coleen Powers said...

I love you too Cara! Our friendship is definitely one to last the ages. I'll see you in August. Hugs and kisses--Lou

Melissa said...

How I miss you and Louise and all our other wonderful friends. How nice it is to reconnect and see each other. I am glad I found you again! We need to NOT lose contact with each other.