Thursday, March 5, 2009

I love Felicity

I love Felicity. Thank goodness for her and all she has added to my life. On good days and bad, she makes me laugh and smile and she is the first one to offer hugs and kisses. And she knows just when I need them, too! A few weeks ago I blew my top and subsequently burst into tears. She looked at me and said, "Mommy, you're sad. I'll go get you a tissue." She then proceeded to hug and kiss me on the belly (that's where she could reach). Hopefully she is the way she is because I have been that loving and tender with her all her life; I'd like to think I have been.

From the day she was born, I knew that she would forever change my life for the better, though the addition she made to our family did not come without it's challenges. At about six months old she began to vomit frequently, resulting consequently in a dramatic weight loss. Our family was just getting settled in Colorado after uprooting our life in California at the time. Months later we found a great pediatrician who diagnosed and treated Felicity's acid reflux which hung on past her first birthday, at which time she began physical therapy because of developmental delays.

All went well until her second birthday in February 2008 when she once again struggled with frequent diarrhea and vomiting. By March 2008 she was admitted to the hospital, severely dehydrated. Felicity underwent many invasive tests during her stay but the only thing she was diagnosed with was severe food allergies. How grateful I was at the time to still be breastfeeding her! When discharged from the hospital, Felicity and I were put on a strict diet (fish, meats, rice, and fruits and vegetables). It was the hardest thing I've ever done, but I'd do it again for her if I needed to. I love that little girl so much.

Fast forward one year. In the past few weeks Felicity has seen her pediatrician, her allergist, had blood work and a sweat test done. The blood work shows that her allergies have become less severe in the past year, but since her birthday last month we have had to also eliminate wheat and gluten from her diet which already excludes all dairy and egg products. Most of the time I admit that the change has been easier for her than it has been for the rest of the family; we are sad for her when she is unable to enjoy the foods we so quickly take for granted. Currently we are waiting for the results of her sweat test and considering the allergist's recommendation of a milk challenge, knowing that allergies may not even be the biggest concern with Felicity; the allergist at National Jewish has recommended we take her to a pediatric G.I.

Anyone who has raised a child that has spent as much of his or her life sick as much as healthy would surely understand the strength of the bond I feel with Felicity. Again I say that I would do it again, if the Lord asked it of me. I pray that Aubrielle doesn't have to suffer the same fate as her big sister Felicity, but if she does I am surely prepared and educated enough to handle it.

Enough about the challenges I have faced in raising my Felicity. Here are just a few reasons why I love her so much:

1) She makes me laugh
2) She is openly affectionate
3) She eats like a champ
4) She loves her family
5) For 2.5 years she was a great nurser
6) At 3 years old, she still naps
7) She sings and dances and loves music
8) She is Elijah's disciple
9) She loves to be outside
10) She sleeps through the night
11) She's so smart
12) She can sit on my lap for hours while I read to her
13) She's learning to use the potty
14) Just like her mom, she enjoys talking on the phone
15) She loves to pray
16) She speaks well and has great manners for a 3 year old
17) She adores her daddy
18) She's excited about the new baby coming
19) Everyday she looks forward to when her siblings will return from school
20) She loves her Heavenly Father
21) She always eats her fruits and veggies and drinks her yummy (not!) rice milk

I could go on and on. Alas, the baby and I are hungry so I must bid you all farewell.

Love, Cara (proud mom to Felicity)

2 comments:

Tera said...

What a beautiful post. I could feel your love for Felicity. She (and you) have been through so much. I have complete empathy for you both. She is a sweetheart, and everyone can see how tender you are with her!

Crazy Mom of 6 said...

So sweet Cara, what a wonderful mother you are to her and your other children. Such devoted to making her right it is amazing at the strength you each feed off each other. That is wonderful and a wonderful mother to be able to relate and have the strength to help her go through those trails she is having to endure.