Sunday, March 15, 2009

Mr Fix-It

That's Richard for you: Mr Fix-It, though he has been known to break things, too. Today is a good example of why I refer to my husband as such. This morning while the rest of our family was getting ready for church, Richard put a roast and potatoes in the crock pot to slow-cook for dinner. Rather than line the kitchen sink with a grocery bag before peeling the potatoes, he merely peeled them directly into the sink. He then proceeded to send the peels of 5 pounds of potatoes down the garbage disposal at once. Needless to say, the disposal was none too happy about this. You guessed it: the sink clogged up. Needless to say, I was none too happy about it, either, and I was sure to let Richard know of my feelings. After all, how can a cook survive without a functioning kitchen sink?

But it was time to leave for church. We had to go, leaving behind the smelly, disgusting mess. Upon returning home from church 4 hours later, Richard went to work trying to remedy his mistake. In the end, it was necessary for him to take the pipes apart below the sink, resulting in another mess though ultimately fixing the problem. Hooray!

Let us all extol the praises of Mr Fix-It!

In our married life, Richard has fixed, built, replaced, painted, and renovated nearly everything inside and outside our homes. And although he loves to use his power tools, the man can work the hammer! Just some of the home-improvement projects / jobs he has accomplished are (keep in mind he is completely self-taught): crown molding, wainscoting, painting, finishing a basement from concrete and insulated walls, landscaping and sprinkler systems, tiling, basic plumbing and electrical, shelf building, etc. Please note that he also does all of his best work after the rest of the family has gone to bed at night. No, he is not a Weekend Warrior. He's so much more!

Had I kept track of all the home-improvement projects Richard has done on his own through trial and error, and estimated the amount of money it has saved our family, no doubt it would be in the tens of thousands. Thank you, Mr Fix-It! For your time, talent, skill, and much more, I am so grateful that you are my husband. After all, you're a handy guy to have around!

Oh, and Mr Fix-It, I'll be sure to pay you later for your services in a way that only I can. Hee, hee!

Love, Cara

3 comments:

Crazy Mom of 6 said...

Too cute Cara. What a great tribute to your Mr fix it. I am glad that you got everything fixed and up and running to make your life way smoother. I have learned over the last 6 months that families can survive without a garbage disposal and dishwasher. I mean I have 5 of them anyway. LOL

Crazy Mom of 6 said...

Cara follow this link I have something for you. http://utahgrafffamily.blogspot.com/2009/03/mom-of-year-are-you-really-sure.html#links

Tera said...

Oh, I have been down the road of potato peels and garbage disposals before. Not a good combination. I agree that having a husband who knows how to fix things is very valuable; also having a husband who is willing to work, learn, and try and try again!