Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Pregnancy/baby update

Being that I am currently 32 weeks along in my pregnancy, I am now required to see my OB every couple weeks. I went today for a check-up (weight, blood pressure, pee in a cup, measure and palpate the belly, listen to the baby's heartbeat, etc.) which would have been ordinary except that Felicity refused to go to the sitter's. Kids have those times when they don't want you out of their sight or reach, and I accept that. It likely wouldn't have been a big deal to take her with me this morning except that Dr. Austin was running more than 90 minutes behind schedule. By the time my name was finally called to enter an exam room, Felicity had eaten all her snacks and we had read all of the books we'd brought along. She was bored, tired, and done quietly sitting still. Argh! Other than the delay, all went well with my appointment. My blood pressure is still perfect, my weight gain acceptable (to the doctor--not to me!) and I am measuring what I should, given how far along I am.

The funny thing about taking a 3-year old to the doctor is that they don't always understand that the appointment is not for them. Poor Felicity has endured more than her share of doctors, nurses, and tests, and was understandably hesitant to even enter the building. Though I did my best to assure her that only Mommy would have to sit on the exam table and be touched, she freaked out when Dr. Austin entered the room and refused to look at him or answer his questions.

Another funny thing about taking a 3-year old to the doctor is that she wants to be attached to your hip, go where you go, and do what you do. This includes the all-important ritual of peeing in a cup. Yep, you guessed it; she had to do that, too. Both times we went potty. Whatever makes her happy, right?

This week the crib and changing table we ordered for Aubrielle came in. Richard spent Monday evening assembling both pieces of furniture (he loved every minute of it) and when I woke up this morning, it was all done. He'd even put the crib bedding set in the crib so we could get the big picture of how the room is coming together. So cute! Since we decided to make the guest room next to the master Aubrielle's room (which was already painted a lovely lilac color) consequently Aubrielle's signature color is going to be lilac. So pretty. Her bedding set has many shades of lilac and purple and today Richard found an adorable lamp to match the room. All this preparation for the baby is making it more real and not seem so far off.

This pregnancy is #7 for me (I've had 2 miscarriages). Never have I had so much love and support from my friends and neighbors as I have this time around. To all of you who have been generous with your time, support and hand-me-downs, I thank you. To all of you who have taken the time to check on me, inquire as to how we are doing, I thank you. And to all of those who have rubbed my belly for good luck or to feel Aubrielle move, I also thank you. I didn't have any of that during my other pregnancies in California. I am convinced that the people here in Colorado are simply more kind and courteous.

Not having any family here in the state to rely upon has made the relationships I have here in Colorado (particularly right here in my own neighborhood) that much more important and necessary to me. Love to all my peeps!

Love, Cara

4 comments:

Crazy Mom of 6 said...

Cara so excited so am I one of your peeps. :)

Shelly said...

I can't wait to meet Aubrielle! She is such a lucky baby to be coming to such a loving family! I'll have to come down and see her new room:)And you're right, we are especially blessed to have such close friends in our neighborhood! LYP! Shell

Tera said...

I am so sorry you had to take her with you to the doctors. You should have called, I would have been happy to keep her. Glad everything went well and that Aubrielle is doing fine. I can't wait to see her room. I bet it is adorable. You are very blessed to have such a wonderful support system, it makes all the difference in the world!

The Borman Family said...

Hi Cara, sounds like you are doing well with baby #5. I bet you are so cute with your little belly and all. Are you liking Colorado living better now? This last winter sure wasn't bad here anyway. When is your baby due? I'll have to come see her next time I am out there. I still haven't seen your house since you moved in,do you love it? How is Richard's job? You should post some pictures so those of us who aren't in the neighborhood can see how cute your nursery is. I would love to see.