Thursday, March 5, 2009

Reality TV Junkie--Just For Fun

Alright, I'll admit that I am a reality TV junkie. In fact, I keep up with so many reality shows that many a night all three of my TiVos, (DVRs), are concurrently employed. My best friend Tera is also a reality show junkie, and having that in common along with everything else, means that we never run out of things to talk about.

You may ask, with so many reality shows available to choose from, do I have a favorite? That's hard to say; they're all smut. Take for example, "The Bachelor". How many seasons have aired to date? More than a dozen, I am sure. And how many seasons have had happy endings? Just one, really, but it doesn't mean I'll stop watching any time soon. How about "Survivor"? Season 17 (I think it's season 17--maybe a die-hard fan is reading this and will write in to inform me I'm wrong) is now airing. Little has changed in the game over the years; it's a whole lotta been there, done that, but I'm a loyal fan who cannot let go. "The Biggest Loser". Need I say more? It's fabulous. I just love it. I find myself cheering on my favorite contestants, and when they do well I am just as happy as they are. I have even been known to cry along with them. These people are changing their lives through hard work and dedication. What could be better than that?

Of course I love all reality shows centered on cooking, too. "Top Chef", "Hell's Kitchen", "Kitchen Nightmares"... That Gordon Ramsey has the potty mouth. I so get a kick out of him. But it's when I watch these shows that I realize how simplistic my cooking style is--and that's okay! I don't know anyone personally that has things like crawfish or obscure spices in their kitchen.

Lastly, who could forget the pop culture juggernaut that is "American Idol"? Who doesn't love Simon Cowell and the nasty comments he gives the wannabe superstars? Who doesn't love his arrogance? What's not to love about Randy Jackson? And how much fun is it to laugh at the ridiculous things Paula Abdul says? Of course there is the music and the hopes that amongst the wannabes is a future grammy-winning recording artist (I love you, Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood! I voted for you!).

Before I had DVRs in my house, I had been known to plan my life around my reality shows. Thank goodness I don't have to do that anymore. Nonetheless, each week I look forward to when they will air and record on my DVRs, watching them shortly thereafter so I can zip through the commercial breaks.

For those of you who are wondering if I have a life, yes, I do. In fact my life is terribly busy, though often mundane and routine (ie: "Groundhog Day" anyone?). So besides reading, reality shows are my escape (not that reality shows are a great representation of reality). So sue me! I am proud to be amongst the loyal viewers who keep the networks from cancelling all that smut.

Later! Cara

P.S. If you find this post simply the silliest and most ridiculous thing ever, consider the source is an exhausted, overworked pregnant woman. Hee, hee!

2 comments:

Crazy Mom of 6 said...

Cara you crack me up. You are addicted I really think you should go to reality tv therapy. They'll make you sit there and do nothing but watch that crap over and over and over. Wait that is what you want. you are so addicted that, you will be begging to go to that so you can get your fix and continue to be a reality tv junkie. watch out for Tera she is a bad influence. (Ok was that kind of funny, let me tell you it is almost 11 pm and I have taken all of my meds I think that is funny and insane in itself. ) love you

Tera said...

LOL! You know I'm a sister/fellow addict in the reality TV world. I can just see you sitting on the couch, bouncing up and down, waving your arm in the air as you say, "Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, I voted for you"!